23 August 2008

Reviews: Noma Falta

I find I don't have much nice to say about female vocalists in Second Life. Not that I don't like female vocalists, and not that there aren't plenty of good ones out there. There are way more women in my personal music collection than men. Of course, my fascination with J-Pop and Eurodance may be skewing those numbers a little. But in SL, the female vocalists just never seem to thrill me. Don't know why. Maybe the technology used to stream live performances in Second Life was only ever optimized for male vocal patterns making female voices sound somehow off. I have no idea. Not beyond the realm of possibility though.

Noma Falta though, is a just plain amazing singer. It is hard to tell whether she is singing karaoke or playing at least one instrument on her own with synth accompaniment. But if she is running a karaoke machine, I'm not going to hold it against her. Especially when she sings many of her tunes acapella.

Her deep, dusky renditions of the blues and of anything she chooses to sing is well worth the listen. There aren't many SL musicians out there who can hold your attention on unaccompanied voice alone. The quality of streamed audio sees to that. You have to be better than good to overcome the limits of mediocre equipment.

Some of my favorite musicians, including some already reviewed here, are to be found at her concerts, also listening. Musicians that attract other musicians is always a good sign.

Keep an eye, and an ear, out for her.

No comments: